Assessment Response Categories (e.g., excellent, good, needs improvement) are used when creating items in the Assessment and Evaluation module.
This article covers the following topics. Click on the topic to go to that section of the article.
Note: These categories can also be applied to specific rating scales and when those rating scales are applied to items, the response categories will pre-populate.
Permission to Admin > System Settings > Assessment Response Categories
You must have one of the following permission levels to access this feature:
Assessment Response Categories are displayed in the order in which they were added to the system, so use the search function to quickly look for existing categories and prevent the creation of duplicates. Results will appear as you type.
- Navigate to Admin > System Settings.
- Click the name of the organization for which you want to manage assessment response categories.
- Click Assessment Response Categories from the left-hand sidebar.
- Click Add Category.
- Enter the response category.
- By default, all categories will be available in reports, so uncheck the box if you don't want the category to be available in reports.
- Click Save. Your new category will be added to the end of the list.
- If multiple categories have been created and are overly similar, or you have imported data from another tool and have duplicate categories, you can merge selected categories. To do this, click the checkboxes beside the categories to merge, then scroll down and click Merge Selected.
- To delete categories, click the checkbox beside the category you wish to delete, then scroll down and click Delete Selected.
Create a Scale using Assessment Response Categories & Apply it to a Rubric Attribute Item
- Navigate to Admin> Assessment & Evaluation> Rating Scales tab
- Fill in the fields as needed. For more information on Scales, please see the Grading Scales article
- Input in your created Response Categories as the responses of the scale. These will be linked to the question responses of the form item
- Click Save to finish creating the scale
- Now that the scale has been created, navigate to Admin> Assessment & Evaluation> Items tab> Click the Add New Item button
- Fill in the fields as needed, for more information on Items, please see the Create and Manage Items article
- After selecting your created Rating Scale, the Item Responses will be automatically populated with the Response Categories that you've attached to the scale.
- Fill in the Item Response Text as needed
- Click Save to finish creating the item with your rating scale and response categories applied.