Configuring Grading Scales allows you to apply a grading scale to course Gradebooks and the weighted collections and assessments used within Gradebooks.
When managing assessments, you can optionally allow learners to view their results using a marking scheme (e.g., percent, numeric) and/or a grading scale (e.g., Honors, Pass, Fail). Both marking scheme and grading scale are also displayed to users when entering grades in Admin > Manage Course > Gradebook.
Currently, all grading scales require a corresponding percentage to be stored in the database and no two letter grades can share the same percentage value.
Permission to Admin > System Settings > Grading Scales
You must have one of the following permission levels to access this feature:
- Medtech > Admin
- Staff > Admin
Add a New Grading Scale
- Navigate to Admin > System Settings.
- Click the name of the organisation for which you want to manage the grading scale.
- Click Grading Scales from the left-hand sidebar.
- A default grading scale is provided; it may be fastest to modify the existing scale to suit your organisation's needs. If so, click on the default scale to edit it.
- To add an entirely new scale, click Add New Grading Scale.
- Complete the required information, noting the following:
- Title: Provide a title for the grading scale. If the grading scale applies only to one cohort of learners or is in effect for a specific period of time, it might be useful to include it the title. Users working in course Gradebooks will see the grading scale title when they are specifying a grading scale to use in a collection or assessment.
- Ranges:This is where you enter the grading scale information.
The system requires that there be a 0 start percentage to be valid, so be sure to include one.
The information you provide in the Letter Grade column is what will display to learners if you choose to display their results in the Gradebook using a grading scale.
GPA is not required and currently doesn't integrate with Elentra unless you have a customization.
Notes is optional and is not seen outside the Grading Scale page.
Click Add Range to add additional rows.
The rows will reorder as you add them so that they display in order. You can click the arrow in the Start % column header to show the percentages ascending or descending.
Note that you do not enter a number to denote the top of the range.
- To delete a range, click the red X icon in the remove column of the appropriate row.
- A Description for the grading scale can be provided. This is optional and is not seen outside the Grading Scale page.
- When you've added all the required information, click Save. You will get a green success message and be redirected to the list of existing grading scales.
- To edit an existing grading scale, click on its title. Make the necessary changes. Click Save.
- To delete an existing grading scale, click the checkbox beside its title. Click Delete Selected.