Further segment curriculum periods into weeks and course units
This article covers the following topics. Click on the topic to go to that section of the article.
- Introduction to Units & Weeks
- Creating Weeks
- Adding Units to a course
- Applying Curriculum Tags to Units
- Linking Learning Events to Weeks
- Student's View of Units
- Database Settings associated to Units & Weeks
Introduction to Units & Weeks
Note: This feature is optional and is disabled by default. To have the Weeks & Units feature enabled in your organization, contact Elentra Support.
Once enabled, an administrative user must build the global weeks for an organization. Next, units can be added to courses and linked with the weeks structure. Finally, events can be linked to a unit. This will populate a learner view of Weeks that displays all units across courses and lets learners drill down into a unit to view its objectives, affiliated events, and resources.
Create Global Weeks
- Provide the Week Title
- Select a curriculum layout (called Curriculum Category on the screen)
- Provide a week order (leave at default 0 to just add the week at the end of any existing weeks). Week order will dictate the order in which existing weeks will appear in the student's view.
- Edit any existing weeks by clicking on the Week title from the Admin > Manage Curriculum > Curriculum Week's page.
- Delete any unwanted weeks by clicking the checkbox beside the week and clicking Delete Selected at the bottom of the list of weeks on the Curriculum Week's page.
Add Units to a Course
Apply Curriculum Tags to Units
- When creating a unit in a course you can add any desired curriculum tags to the unit by clicking on the Select Curriculum Tags drop down list in the Units Tags section and drilling down to the appropriate tag.
- These unit tags will be displayed in two places on the student's Week View: the Weeks Objectives and the Unit Tags list. If you later contextually link sessional objectives to your Unit Tags from an event page, those linkages will be available to view under the Unit Tags list on the Weeks summary view.
- If your organization has enabled context-based curriculum tag linking (that is, you can link curriculum tags to each other at the unit and event level), you can click on any curriculum tag added to the unit to add additional curriculum tags under it. Note that you can use the weeks function without using context-based curriculum tagging.
Note: In a course, you can only link one unit to a week and have it display properly to learners.
Link Learning Events to a Week
Student's View of Units
- Week Objectives shows curriculum tags applied to the unit. If learning events have been tagged with a curriculum tag and that curriculum tag has been contextually linked with one of the week objectives assigned to the unit, the curriculum tag and learning event will display under the list of week objectives.