Further segment curriculum periods into weeks and course units
This article covers the following topics. Click on the topic to go to that section of the article.
Introduction to Units & Weeks
The units and weeks feature allows an organization to add curriculum layout placeholders that divide each curriculum period (Year 1, 2, etc.) into weeks, e.g., Week 1, Week 2, ..., Week N, then apply units to weeks and associate the units with events in each course.
Note: This feature is optional and is disabled by default. To have the Weeks & Units feature enabled in your organization, contact Elentra Support.
Once enabled, an administrative user must build the global weeks for an organization. Next, units can be added to courses and linked with the weeks structure. Finally, events can be linked to a unit. This will populate a learner view of Weeks that displays all units across courses and lets learners drill down into a unit to view its objectives, affiliated events, and resources.
Using the weeks feature means that you can also apply weeks as a filter in a variety of places in Elentra. You can use weeks to refine your search results in Curriculum Search, on the Events page, and in the Curriculum Tag Minutes and Mapping Report.
Create Global Weeks
Weeks are global across an organization. As such, it is recommended you keep the naming generic (e.g., Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, etc.). You must add weeks to the system before being able to add units to courses or events. Do the following to add weeks to the organization.
Step 1: To begin, navigate to Admin > Manage Curriculum > Curriculum Weeks, then click the Add Week button.
Step 2: Fill in the required information.
Step 3: Click the Save button. Once saved, you will see a green success message and be redirected to the list of existing weeks.
- Provide the Week Title
- Select a curriculum layout (called Curriculum Category on the screen)
- Provide a week order (leave at default 0 to just add the week at the end of any existing weeks). Week order will dictate the order in which existing weeks will appear in the student's view.
Editing/Deleting a Week
- Edit any existing weeks by clicking on the Week title from the Admin > Manage Curriculum > Curriculum Week's page.
- Delete any unwanted weeks by clicking the checkbox beside the week and clicking Delete Selected at the bottom of the list of weeks on the Curriculum Week's page.
Add Units to a Course
Step 1: Navigate to Admin > Manage Courses, select the course you want to work with, and navigate to the Units tab. The Units tab will only show on courses if Weeks & Units are enabled in the organization.
Step 2: Ensure you are in the correct curriculum period and, if needed, switch it using the dropdown menu. Click Add New Units to add a new unit to the course.
Step 3: Fill in the required information. Each field is detailed below.
Unit Code: This will display to learners in the weeks overview and be in the title of the unit page. If you use this, it is recommended that you maintain parallels between week and unit names.
Unit Title: (Required) This will display to learners in the weeks overview and be in the title of the unit page.
Unit Description: This will be visible to learners when they click on a unit to view it.
Week: Select a week to apply this unit to.
Week Chair: Begin to type a name, click on the desired name and then click 'Add'. This will be visible to learners.
Unit Order: (Required) This defines the order in which the unit will display to learners. It is recommended that you keep this at 0 and let the week order dictate the display order.
Unit Tags: Add curriculum tags using the selector. See more information below.
Step 4: Click Save.
Apply Curriculum Tags to Units
- When creating a unit in a course you can add any desired curriculum tags to the unit by clicking on the Select Curriculum Tags drop down list in the Units Tags section and drilling down to the appropriate tag.
- These unit tags will be displayed in two places on the student's Week View: the Weeks Objectives and the Unit Tags list. If you later contextually link sessional objectives to your Unit Tags from an event page, those linkages will be available to view under the Unit Tags list on the Weeks summary view.
- If your organization has enabled context-based curriculum tag linking (that is, you can link curriculum tags to each other at the unit and event level), you can click on any curriculum tag added to the unit to add additional curriculum tags under it. Note that you can use the weeks function without using context-based curriculum tagging.
Note: In a course, you can only link one unit to a week and have it display properly to learners.
Link Learning Events to a Week
After units have been added to courses and linked with weeks, you can link events to each unit through an event Setup page. This will create the connections to have learning events show up on the Weeks summary view.
If you are manually adding a new event through Manage Events you will add a Course Unit on the Adding Event screen.
If you have an existing event and you want to link it to a unit navigate to the event Setup page and add the Course Unit. You can find a specific learning event via Admin > Manage Events or using the Curriculum Search feature (if you know the event title).
Student's View of Units
The student's Weeks View is accessible from the Weeks tab on the main tab menu.
It provides an overview of the weeks and units across multiple courses. By clicking on a unit students can access a summary of the week including resources, objectives, learning events, and unit tags. Learners have the option to bulk download resources included in the unit and can print a list of all objectives.
- Week Objectives shows curriculum tags applied to the unit. If learning events have been tagged with a curriculum tag and that curriculum tag has been contextually linked with one of the week objectives assigned to the unit, the curriculum tag and learning event will display under the list of week objectives.
- Unit Tags shows tags assigned to the unit and any tags contextually-linked to the unit tags (view the latter by clicking on the unit tag to expand a list below it). (This information will only be visible if context-based linkages are enabled in your installation.)
||Off by default. Turn on to enable curriculum weeks.